Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Fish and the Near Miss

Okay so for those of you Who have Children this will not surprise you in a bit. Three year olds are busy bodies. The other day I had a friend from our ward over. We were going to plan a project to do at a later date. Well Ann, my friend came with her Daughter, Avery. Avery is an explorer. Avery went around the house rearranging things and opening up everything that would open. This was all well and good except about 30 minutes before Ann was getting ready to hit the road. I was showing Ann some new curtains I am going to make. We walked right past Avery and looked at my room and also my laundry room. About this time we looked down to see what Avery was doing. Surprisingly we had missed certain things as we passed her twice before that. Avery had my boys fish in it's bowl between her two open legs. She had taken one of their bottles of fish pellets and fed the whole bottle to the fish. Upon seeing that this dirtied the water the very logical young lady decided she needed to clean the fish so she grabbed a tissue and tried to reach in to clean the fish. Of course this created yet another mess. Well we are talking about a very aware intelligent child and she decided that just would not do. Her next step was she grabbed the water conditioner and poored half the bottle into the bowl. The next half hour was spent trying to save my children's struggling family member. As we strained the water and conditioned more the logicallness of it all came to mind.
When the boys got home I told them what happened and told them the fish may struggle and die that day or by the next morning. I was trying to prepare them for their little pets death. Tim got tears in his eyes and told me Avery could not come over anymore. I told him she was just a little girl and he told me very simply well then let's just have her come over right now and rip my heart out. I understand how he feels this is his pet just like someones pet dog or cat. Well Flo is still living she did not kick the bucket and my son has not had any dramatic moments since then. Flo condinues to live and swim happily in her little bowl. She is a fighter fish!!

2 comments:

  1. oh that's sad...as I sit here just chuckling. Wow, the things kids will do. I hope the fish has a long healthy/Avery free life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for FLo, What a great fighter!!! Keep going strong Flo. I am glad she lived.

    ReplyDelete